Team IL Youth Camp
In 2007, the Illinois State Police (ISP) started the Team Illinois Youth Police Camp (TIYPC) for youth with the primary purpose of establishing inter-personal relations between at risk youth and law enforcement in order to create a bridge of understanding between the two groups. The first camp began in the East St. Louis area and is still currently held at Principia College in Elsah, Illinois. In 2017, a second TIYPC was held at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais, Illinois and a third camp is planned for Carbondale, Illinois in July 2020.
The camp is a highly structured week long residency program and the kids are housed on campus dormitories. The camp, transportation, and activities are provided to kids free of charge. The camp is based on a strict model of discipline and includes para-military drills (formations & marching), physical fitness exercises, and classroom instruction on resisting various societal pressures, dangers of drug & alcohol abuse, hygiene, team building principles, leadership and other life enhancing skills.
- To provide an opportunity for area youth and Law Enforcement Officers to form long lasting positive relationships by creating a bridge of understanding between both groups.
- To provide a safe, structured environment that creates opportunity for encouraging positive behavior, leadership skills, positive self-esteem, and the skills for youth to resist violence, gangs, drugs and other societal pressures.
- To positively change the lives of area youth through our dedication and desire to motivate them to succeed.
The philosophy of “Teamwork, Commitment and Pride” is introduced to the Cadets through activities that promote teamwork, goal setting, and esprit de corp. Upon completion of the camp, Cadets participate in a formal graduation ceremony and are provided with a certificate of completion and individual and group photos.
Camp Schedule includes:
- Teen Suicide Awareness
- Alcohol, Opiate and other Drug Addiction
- Personal Hygiene, Dental Care, and Healthy Lifestyle Habits
- Dangers of Social Media
- First Aid and Hands Only CPR
- Bullying and Cyber Bullying
- Boys and Girls Scouts of America
- Flag Etiquette w/ the Illinois National Guard
- Teambuilding with the Illinois National Guard to include the Rock Climbing Wall, Ropes Confidence Course as well as other related exercises.
- Safety Days- local police department, fire department, rollover simulator, golf cart with DUI Goggles and texting while driving, K-9 Demonstration, ISP Motorcycles, and the Air Methods Medical Transport Helicopter
- Daily uniform and room inspections
- Fishing and Bowling
For additional information about the camp, please contact the Recruitment Office:
- (217) 785-4370
- (217) 685-4752