Each driver involved in an Illinois traffic crash must file a crash report if the crash caused a death, bodily injury, or more than $1,500 of property damage when all drivers are insured. If any driver does not have insurance, the threshold is $500. If a police officer does not appear on the scene, you need to file a report with the Illinois State Police as soon as possible, within 10 days.
If you were involved in a traffic crash on an Illinois Toll Way, please contact ISP District 15 at (630) 241-6800.
If you were involved in a traffic crash occurring on a freeway in the Chicago metro area (Cook County), you can file a Desk Report in person. Motorists should exchange information and be prepared to provide driver's license information, vehicle registration, proof of liability insurance, and call back phone numbers for any driver not present for a follow up investigation by Trooper. Hit and run crashes can also be taken as a Desk Report. If you are involved in a hit and run crash, do not try to follow the offending vehicle. Instead, please obtain as much detailed information as possible, and report the incident as soon as possible.
Troopers can take a Desk Report at the following local police departments Monday through Friday from 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM, and 7:00 PM to 3:00 AM; anytime on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Chicago Police Department 1st District located at 1718 S. State Street, Chicago IL
- Chicago Police Department 2nd District located at 5101 South Wentworth Avenue, Chicago, IL
- Chicago Police Department 5th District located at 727 E. 111th Street, Chicago IL
- Chicago Police Department 11th District located at 3151 W. Harrison, Chicago IL
- Chicago Police Department 16th District located at 5151 N. Milwaukee Ave, Chicago IL
- Lansing Police Department, located at 2710 S. 170th Street, Lansing, IL
- Northfield Police Department located at 350 Walnut, Northfield, IL
- Oak Forest Police Department located at 15440 Central Ave, Oak Forrest, IL
- Summit Police Department located at 5810 S. Archer Road, Summit, IL
- Westchester Police Department located at 10300 Roosevelt Road, Westchester, IL
Upon arrival at an above listed police station, motorists should call (847) 294-4400 to advise that they are in need of a Trooper at the respective location for a desk report. Motorists can also file crash reports anytime at ISP District Chicago located at 9511 West Harrison Street, Des Plaines, IL 60016.