FBI Record Requests
Complete cover letter.
- If for a couple, family, etc., all persons must sign cover letter
- Include your complete mailing address
- If you have a deadline (e.g., an immigration deadline), please include the deadline in your cover letter and on the outside of the envelope.
Obtain proof of identity, which consists of a set of your fingerprints (original card, no copies), with your name, date of birth and place of birth.
Fingerprints should be placed on a standard fingerprint form (FD 258) commonly used for applicant or law enforcement purposes.
- Include rolled impressions of all ten fingerprints and impressions of all ten fingerprints taken simultaneously (these are sometimes referred to as plain or flat impressions.)
- If possible have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician (this service may be available at a Law Enforcement Agency.) Previously processed fingerprint cards will not be accepted.
Include $ 18 - U.S. dollars in the form of a money order, certified check made payable to the Treasury of the United States, or you may pay by credit
- Be sure to sign where required
- No personal checks or cash
- Must be exact amount
- If for a couple, family, etc., include $18 for each person
- If paying by credit card you must include the completed credit card payment form
- Credit cards will not be used for expedited mail services
Mail the items #1, #2, #3 (listed above) to the following address:
FBI CJIS Division B Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306
Please Note:If any of the above items are missing or incomplete, the request will be returned and allow approximately 8 - 10 weeks for processing, upon receipt to the FBI.
What You Will Receive
You will receive one of two things from the FBI. They are either:
- No Record Response. Consists of the original fingerprint card stamped No Record.
- FBI Identification Record.