Public Act 102-237 amended the FOID Act to create the Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) Card Review Board and provided that,
effective January 1, 2023, certain appeals must be filed with the FOID Card Review Board rather than the Director. Currently,
the FOID Card Review Board is in the process of being established. A link to the FOID Card Review Board and its contact information
will be forthcoming. In the interim, request for relief documents filed with the Director will be gathered, checked for completeness, and transitioned to
the FOID Card Review Board for its timely consideration.
Firearm Owners Identification (FOID)
To legally possess firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card, which is issued by the Illinois State Police to any qualified applicant.
Please Note: If you possess an MML, are a caregiver pursuant to the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act, and/or otherwise use cannabis consistent
with Illinois law, your FOID card or CCL will not be revoked nor will your application(s) denied. Medical Marijuana Licenses are state-issued and cannot result in the denial
of any right or privilege. However, under Federal law, you are subject to restrictions that prohibit you from acquiring or possessing firearms and firearms ammunition.
These restrictions are pursuant to the Gun Control Act of 1968, specifically 18 U.S.C. §922 and remain in effect until the revocation or relinquishment of your medical
cannabis card or until one year after you last used cannabis, whichever is later.
- Am I eligible?
- I have not been convicted of any Felony under the laws of this or any other jurisdiction.
- I have not been adjudicated as a mental defective.
- I have not been a patient in a mental institution or any part of a medical facility for the treatment of mental illness within the past 5 years.
- I am not intellectually disabled or developmentally disabled.
- I have not within the past year (preceding the date of this application) used or been addicted to any controlled substance or narcotics in violation of state or federal law.
- I am not subject of an existing Order of Protection or a No Contact/No Stalking Order.
- I have not within the past 5 years been convicted of battery, assault, aggravated assault, violation of an order of protection, or a substantially similar offense in which a firearm was used or possessed.
- I have not been convicted of domestic battery (felony or misdemeanor), aggravated domestic battery or a substantially similar offense.
- I have not been adjudicated by a court as a mental defective or ordered by a court, board or authorized entity to in-patient or out-patient mental health treatment.
- I am not an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States.
- I have not within the past year failed a drug test for a drug for which I did not have a prescription.
- I have not been admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
- I have never renounced my citizenship as a citizen of the United States.
- I have never been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
- I am not a fugitive from justice.
- Checklist prior to applying
- A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.
- A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.
- $10.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.